Skip to content

Child Support in Cherokee

Child Support Modification / Addendum for Cherokee County, Georgia

If you need child support modification information for Cherokee County, Georgia, you are not alone. Many people seek the information for filing for a child support modification each year. This site provides you with the basic information you need regarding the legal process, when and where you would file, and provides access to the forms you will need to use. You can also learn how an attorney can help ensure the process is handled correctly. It’s important to follow the legal process when filing for a child support addendum in Cherokee County and in each county around Georgia.

Quick Facts About Child Support Modification in Cherokee County:

  • To be eligible to file a child support modification, two years must have passed since the judge signed a child support order, unless your original order has never been modified.
  • The Superior Court Clerk’s Office strongly recommends working with an attorney if you need assistance in understanding or preparing any of the necessary forms. It is especially advisable to work with an attorney if your case will be contested, you cannot locate the person who needs to be served, you feel you may lose custody of your children, or you suspect that the other party will not want to cooperate with providing the necessary information.
  • To file for a child support modification, you will need to complete the Child Support Addendum and file it at the Superior Court. The form needs to be filled out completely and filed with the necessary additional attachments, as mentioned below.
  • Those who are seeking a reduction in child support payments may need to provide the last three months’ worth of their pay stubs.
  • A child support modification is filed in Cherokee County if that is where the opposing party resides.
  • There is a filing fee, as well as a sheriff fee for serving the other party. For the current filing rates, contact the Superior Court at 678-493-6511.

Forms Needed for Child Support Modification in Cherokee County

  • Petition for Modification of Child Support / Child Support Addendum
  • Child Support Worksheet
  • Schedule E (Deviation Special Circumstances)
  • Sheriff’s Entry of Service

Reasons to File Child Support Modification

Those who feel there should be a change in their child support should consider filing a modification. Some of the reasons may include wanting to seek more child support, asking for a reduction in child support, if there has been a change in one’s financial status since the original order, etc. Some of the reasons that people seek a modification include someone losing their job, getting a pay cut, getting a higher paying job, etc. If you have questions regarding whether or not you should seek a child support modification, you should consult with attorney who can review the facts of your case in detail.

Child Support Modification Process in Cherokee County

It is important for those filing a child support modification in Cherokee County that they complete all of the paperwork accurately and they file it according to the Superior Court’s process. The process includes filling out all of the necessary forms for the Child Support Addendum, and then filing with the Cherokee County Superior Court Clerk’s Office. Upon filing, you will be given a court date and time that you will need to attend. You will also need to provide the Sheriff’s Department with a copy of the filing package so they can serve the other party. There will be a filing fee at both the Superior Court and at the Sheriff’s Department. Contact their offices for the most current filing fee. You may also find it helpful to use the Georgia Child Support Commission’s child support calculator.

Should you hire an attorney or file yourself?

While the forms for filing for a child support modification in Cherokee County are readily available online, there are many people who should consider consulting with an attorney. It is important that all forms are completed accurately and thoroughly for them to be considered. An attorney will ensure that the entire process is filed accurately.

Many people find that they can save a lot of time and stress by working with an attorney who is familiar with the process.

There are other cases where people may need to work with an attorney in order to have their child support modification filed. This is especially true if the case is contested, your ex-spouse is not being cooperative, you fear there could be custody loss issues, or the child and the custodial parent do not live in Georgia. Most attorneys offer a free consultation. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may be able to get assistance through Georgia Legal Aid and by contacting the State Bar of Georgia to inquire about pro bono attorneys.